Monday, November 05, 2007

Squeezing Days Helps Reveal the Remarkable.

Almost every day, when I try to squeeze it or sort it or rank it into two sentences -- divides into two different parts: (1.) a part of the day that was so normal, routine, ongoing, demanding, specific and laborious that fitting it into a sentence feels simultaneously too big and too boring, (2.) a part of the day, maybe small, maybe significant, that was remarkable -- in a literal sense -- it stimulated so many different thoughts, ideas, intuitions and orientations that I could write a cascade of sentences about it, and in this case it is only the restriction of two sentences that hampers me.

Yesterday I wrote a bit in the morning (less than I wanted to or should have), I cooked in the afternoon and in the evening listened to the people in my spiritual formation group be frank and intimate and available and curious and hopeful -- these three parts of my day were remarkable.