Monday, July 21, 2008

Moments With Small Animals

I'm not sure if there's a rule that my two sentences every day have to be about that particular day?

Last night as Lynn and I drove home from the (EXCELLENT) Dark Knight, I saw an electric moment that reminded me of a few similar moments that also captivated me this week:

1. by the side of the road, a bookish & hippie-ish teenager bent low and close over a rosebush, her hand hovering over the flowers just quietly enough for a bee to be hovering with a question mark, over her hand (passing her in the car, I felt a moment of timewarp, slowness, beauty and then it was all gone just as fast),

2. standing by the bus stop on (the busy) Cleveland Avenue, waiting for the bus, suddenly I heard a cacophany of horns. Four angry cars were stopped behind a crappy little Ford Escort, just sitting completely still in the passing lane; it wasn't until two minutes later when a baby groundhog shuffled out from under the Escort and across the road, that I realized why everyone was waiting,

3. BG returned to his/her home after a month stay at our house; I couldn't be at his ceremony, but the jubilation he felt at returning to his own creek and the mud and the water was so obvious, that my kids giggled instead of cried -- recognizing his gain over and against (and minimizing) their loss...